November 18th, 2008
This morning I am short on time, so this will be brief. I found myself thinking about the retreat that I went on a two weekends ago, and reflecting on the beauty of it. The image that I landed on in my mind was that of one of the girls sitting up front, crying as she bared her soul to the group. I thought as I pictured this in my mind, that was a very beautiful moment. Not simply because the girl was beautiful (which she is), but more because as she sat there and cried, we, sitting watching her, were getting a glimpse into her soul.
I don't know what it is about watching someone cry, not just cry but weep, that is so stirring, so moving to behold. Weeping, much like laughing, seems to be contagious. Why is that? I suppose it could be said that when one witnesses someone else they love, even at a most basic "fellow-human" level, we share the pain and therefore feel the need to weep ourselves. That could be, but I think it extends much deeper than that. Sadly, I don't have time to fully dive into all that right now, so I'll leave it at that and let it rattle until I can give it the attention it deserves.

No comments:
Post a Comment