Monday, November 10, 2008

November 6, 2008

November 6, 2008

Reading J.I. Packers book Knowing God, I am comforted by the fact that Packer puts forward that God is always shaping and molding his people; That he uses their individual shortcomings and each of their own moral weaknesses to drive them to a point where of knowing and wanting God with the strong passion that God intends for us to have. With that information, I can look at my life, and my shortcomings and I can understand what role they might be playing in my spiritual development. With that knowledge, however, comes the danger of embracing these moral shortcoming and vices. Instead of seeking God and battling these things, the risk is present to use the fact that God uses them to rationalize a love affair with them. the reason I keep coming back to these things, why in the face of the knowledge that these things do not please continue to do them, is because they feel good. They are pleasurable. I've found that if I have an excuse to rationalize them, I will tend to do so, and embrace the sins, because after all, they are there by God's design. But that is a very dangerous mindset. God did not set them in my life and in my character to give me pleasure, or for my own enjoyment, he did so in order that I might be humbled and fight them (no matter how impossible that might be) in order to strengthen my conviction toward Himself.

No comments: