November 29, 2008
I got back into Manhattan this evening after visiting my parents over Thanksgiving weekend. It's odd, that for 22 years I called Hutchinson home, I knew its streets and roads backward and forward. But now, after living in Manhattan, essentially for almost 5 years now, Hutch has become just like another town to me. Yes, I still know my way around, but there something that is not there, that makes it seem almost foreign. Perhaps that something is inside me, I no longer have the familiarity with it that I once had, I don't live everyday in it. Hutch is no longer home to me. In any case, when I arrived back in Manhattan, it felt comfortable, familiar. It felt very much like coming home.
Life moves on I guess. That seemed to be a theme of this last weekend, life moving on. There's a grief associated with that, but there's also a feeling of rightness, a feeling that this is now how things are supposed to be. I knew the day of my high school commencement that life would no longer stay the same for very long at a time, and I've lived with that for almost 8 years now, but I'm still not used to it. And yet, here I am.

No comments:
Post a Comment